Thursday, December 01, 2005

Is this thing on?

OK, it's me again. Writing into the void. I am writing to verify that I exist. To post something that I'm willing to share, not just to bury in the pages of my journal.

Today: felt like I should move on from teaching. I honestly don't have the patience any more, I don't believe. Teenagers can be real pains-in-the-ass. I know - shocking. But I think my "coolness" factor may be wearing off, and my personality may not be enough to carry me into an eighth year of education. Yes, I have skills - MAD ones at that, but I'd like to try my hand at some other endeavors that interest me, like in the media, for example. Television, magazines, newspapers, radio - I don't know - I live and breathe and soak up and can't-get-enough-of that stuff - I want to find out a way to transfer my passion into a "living." The people that actually get to do that are VERY fortunate. ANd making people laugh - I used to love being on stage (comedy only - I can't take myself seriously) and I want to do that again, maybe even doing that for no money and doing something else to support that.

I tore out a page from my "Premiere" magazine the other day - the guy who plays Professor Moody in the new Harry Potter movie - Brendan something - didn't get into acting until he was 34. He was a teacher up until that point. A secondary teacher. The article said that he came to a "crossroads" and decided it was time to pursue his lifelong passion. That page got torn out and put on my bathroom mirror. He's no GQ pin-up guy, but he INSPIRES me. My wheels have been turning ever since I read it.

Well, I'll leave with that. Want to do a bit of soul-searching this season and see what I might come up with. It's hard when you're a freakin COWARD like I am who desperately wants security and stability but has this damned stubborn streaks that makes you discontent with the status quo. Hmm. A conundrum, yes. Keeps me on my toes, that's for damn sure.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Conundrum of life, for sure! Rooting for you on Arno.