Monday, July 13, 2009

Blah blah blah


Here at Bongo Java for Writer's Group, and I am feeling completely uninspired to be creative, which is good since today is a "free" day where we can write about anything we want. So I'm going to blog and be uncreative (how excited you must feel to begin reading this.)

Not much Nature News to speak of over here in Ambiva-world. I have been indoors a lot - PACKING. And organizing stuff. And I find myself doing this procrastination-type of thing where, for example, I pull wine glasses down from the shelf to pack them, but then I notice they could stand a rinse, so I rinse them, and then decide to dry them by hand, and when I go to get a towel to dry them, I see my stack of dish towels there, and I think, "I should go through those and weed out the raggedy ones." So then I start going through towels, and then I think, "I should wash ALL of my dish towels so they will be nice and fresh for my new place." So I take them into my little laundry room, and what do I see there? A couple of shirts I forgot to iron. So I throw the towels in the washer and grab the shirts to iron, and what has been left behind? What was I supposed to be doing?

Packing my glasses.

Good grief. This is going to take forever.

Yesterday was a breakthrough day, though, because I allowed myself the earth-shattering freedom to not follow a checklist. I make these massive lists of to-do's, and break down tasks very specifically so that I can check more things off and feel like I'm accomplishing more. Example: instead of "pack kitchen" I would write "gadget drawer" and "silverware drawer" and "mugs" and "tupperware" and "junk drawer." Because each of those things can take a substantial amount of time, you know? And I need a little more feedback for myself than checking "kitchen" off my list 3 days from now, when I've actually done so much in the kitchen. I've packed a few boxes already, and I need to be able to check that off somewhere.

But yesterday - no list. I let the stream-of-consciousness take over, and it was good. I have a "school stuff" bag that I'm filling up, and I have my "important papers" folder going for bills and mortgage stuff, and I've got boxes and boxes and more stacks of boxes creeping up my walls. All I really want is to know where stuff is, and to not take anything, anything at all, that I do not need to my new place. I feel like this is a reasonable expectation to have for myself, considering that I am not working right now, that I have this kind of time on my hands.

This is a before picture of some of my movies and a few books mixed in. I will post a shocking after picture tomorrow. Shocking, I tell you.

No comments: