Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Rough Draft of... Me

Today I took a day off to go to the dentist, hang out with Jeanne, sleep in, go to counseling, run errands, and - you get the idea. I was super-productive. I am currently trying to resurrect my enthusiasm for going to LA by watching a movie a day. So far, I've watched The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Capote, Crash, Hustle & Flow, and tonight, Walk the Line. This IS my homework, so to speak, so it's all legit use of my time. (Finally!) I also installed my new screenwriting software today, and it is just AMAZING what it can do! It is really, really, really cool. I will get right on that and write something fantastic. Any day now. I feel it.

For the writing program this summer, I have to send a brief bio, which will be printed in the program for the month. (Strange.) I will be with people who will have production credits and film school degrees, and then there's me: teacher, loves movies. Hmm. I could just leave it at that. But this is what my first draft looks like (it has to be in third-person):

Carlen grew up in Greenville, SC, graduating from Clemson University with a degree in English. She moved to Colorado after college, and worked for a backpacking ministry for high school kids for four years. After successfully “finding herself,” Carlen decided to become an English teacher, and found strangely enough that her spirit is most kindred with eighth-graders. (Some say she is crazy; others, a saint.) Two years ago, Carlen left Denver for Nashville, TN, looking for a change of scenery and some new adventures. However, having found less impressive scenery and few compelling adventures in Tennessee, Carlen is finally pursuing her lifelong passion, obsession, and defining-love of all that is the world of movies and television. Carlen hopes to stay in L.A. at the end of Act One for any one of the following reasons, in no particular order: 1) an exciting job, any job, within the industry, 2) a well-paying non-industry job that allows her to intern within the industry, 3) a good man, or 4) a really great living situation. Clearly, she is both a dreamer and an optimist. Carlen looks forward to the month, to soaking up wisdom and knowledge from all available sources, and hopes to find success in any or all of her aforementioned aspirations.

It's not final form - it's not quite right tonally, so I'll be editing before I send it this weekend.
All righty - I gotta get back to the homework. *sigh*

No comments: