Monday, July 31, 2006

An AMAZING Coincidence

Today I finally was able to talk to, not just leave a message for, my principal. And do you know what she said? Something VERY interesting. The school lost a position in the 8th grade, meaning that one teacher would have to be moved, either to another grade or to another school. Guess who low-woman-on-the-totem-pole was? ME. Not kidding. I would have been essentially, "excessed," which means they wouldn't have fired me, but I would not have had my position to go back to ANYWAY. As my friend Amy just said this evening: Wow. God wanted to make it YOUR choice. I just can't believe it. Do you know how upset I would've been? The whole reason I was torn about making the decision to leave was because I was close to my colleagues on the hall, the other 8th grade teachers. I would have gone back to teaching a completely different curriculum and have to work with all new people. Would've been a tremendous strain, in many ways. Let's collaboratively thank God for his sovereignty right now - I just would've gone ballistic with that.

So now, I take that as a "sign", so to speak. I mean, how can I not? But it doesn't take away the fear, for some reason. In one week, I fly back to Nashville (from Dever.) And THEN what? I don't know yet. Place to live? Not yet. Job? Any job? Not so much. This school stuff is so consuming that I can't even really focus on what I need to do. (OK, I have had some fun, too, but that's for another blog, or maybe some personal emails. Hmm. We'll see who's really reading now.) I've got a little bit of time, but I've never cut it so close. It's crazy. And the idea of driving out here with my car full of clothes (basically, that's probably all I can fit in my car.) Do I fly someone out to ride with me? Does someone have frequent flyer miles they're itching to use and spend some time in LA? Gosh, that's just a detail that I'll deal with when it gets here, whenever that is going to be. I don't know what to get first - the job or the place to live. (When I moved to Nashville, I got the job first...) This girl Cristina and I have not been able to hook up to look into housing yet. I'll see her Wed. at the latest. Man, I am nervous. I'd love to get a sublet by myself for a couple of months until I figure out where I'm going to work/live. Hmmm. So I tell you all of this to update you on my situation, but also to say HELP. If you know ANYBODY that lives here, call them, even if it's been 10 years, and say, "Hey! I've got this friend..." I will be a nanny, I will live over a garage, I will get coffee for people - WHATEVER. This is my SOS to all of you who know somebody who lives out here. (You know you all know SOMEBODY. Come on.) I'm praying that the "what comes around, goes around" from all those years when I helped people out in Denver when I had the house to do it - well, that would rock if some of that came back around just to get me started.

You guys know me -you know how much God is stretching me to trust right now. And I am trusting - today He showed me that going back to HMS would NOT have worked out anyway! Now I just need to take each day, step by step, faithfully looking to Him in belief that He cares for me, He cares for the things that I care about, He loves me. Those are the biggies.

Thanks for your encouragement and prayers. I so look forward to having some direction, enough that I will not have to think about ME so much and get into life again - normal, having friends that you can talk to and not have to beg for wisdom, advice, kind ears. Big kisses to you all. :)

1 comment:

Danielle said...

what is this "fun" you speak of? what on earth could you possibly be talking about...?

haha. :)

Carlen, I'm so excited for you!!! Good things are coming your way, sister.