Thursday, October 23, 2008

A coupla things

I spent the evening in the home of one of my students. They're building floats for the homecoming parade, and I was there for a few hours as faculty rep. I was saddened by two things upon leaving this home: 1) these kids have it MADE, and I am jealous of the high school experience they are having. Their camaraderie is enviable - their neighborhood ridiculous - their school, like a mini-college. There is so much wrapped up in what I was feeling as I compared my high school experience to the one they are now making. I can't even open the box there's too much in there. 2) I'm really sad about not being married and having kids yet. Talking to these moms, not that much older than I am - I don't want to get married and have kids right now, but it made me feel the what-if of if things had gone differently, and it didn't make me feel very content. I feel a little cheated right now, actually.

On another note, I am freaking ready for the election to be over. I got a message from a college friend on Facebook this week, a friend that I haven't talked to since college, essentially. She saw something on my profile and wrote, "Tell me you're not anti-Palin!" And so I wrote her back a playful "Sorry, but yes" response, and said that of course, we can still be friends, and mentioned a mutual friend in closing - just cordial and normal, right? So I get back this scathing, literally using the phrase "What are you SMOKING?" reply to that, and I was so appalled by her tone and her attitude, and frankly, the way she mirrored what I see as the tenor of her candidate (off-the-handle, impulsive, quick-tempered, rude) that I actually - DID NOT RESPOND. So not like me. I wanted to lay it out - I've thought for three days now what I would write. But I'm not going to. Because it's not worth it. If someone wants to dialog with me about the election - hell, about anything, with open and respectful disagreement, let's do it. But not that way. It's not interesting to me.

That is all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She's the one losing out! She clearly just doesn't get it! Love you!