Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Be willing to do what you ask kids to do...

Here's my version of an assignment my students are doing as a get-to-know-each-other activity this week. I cranked it out in a few minutes with a raging head cold - it could have been so much better, but - deadlines. And procrastination.

I Am What I Am

I am what I am. I am Carlen Maria Groce. I am the daughter of Barry and Diane, and the big sister to Jason. I am the fierce defender of my scrawny little brother from the bigger kids at school, until he became the biggest kid at school. I am the granddaughter of Charles and Anna Mae, William and Mary Alvis: my country gramps and my city gramps. I am a front-yard entrepreneur, with lemonade, a restaurant, and a library to my credit. I am a roadside peach stand for my summer job every year of high school. I am a child of the 80’s, with neon, polka dots, bold stripes, and side ponytails. I am Madonna, Def Leppard, Duran Duran, and Prince. I am John Hughes movies. Ferris and Breakfast Club , Pretty in Pink and Sixteen Candles. I am the shift to Beatles and Doors, Led Zeppelin and the Stones. I am tennis team and point guard, pep rally planner and student government. I am an actress. I am the AP student in English and History, with the D in Chemistry. I am what I am.
I am an Eastside Eagle. I am a Clemson Tiger. I am a Ravenwood Raptor. I am a ropes course guide and a horse wrangler. I am a Young Life leader and a backpacker. I am a climber of many mountains. I am a poor swimmer, a terrible dancer, and a funny friend. I am the person with the bright side. I am the voracious reader and the avid movie-goer. I am the lover of vampires and wizards and Narnia. I am a professional roadtripper, an independent soul, an introvert with an extrovert’s wit, and a loyal friend. I am an aspiring writer, a lover of words and ideas that make me laugh and make me think. I am the crier at movies and commercials. I am the one that’s too sensitive. I am what I am.
I am a new house with old stuff. I am surrounded by people who love me. I am Aunt Carlen and Car-wen to many small children. I am a teacher, and I am thankful to do something I love. I am excited for this school year. I am excited to know you. I am what I am.

Addendum, next day: After I read this to each class, they all clapped, spontaneously. How adorable is that? I'll answer myself: very. I'm hopeful for this year with these kids.

1 comment:

Ali O said...

love this. love that you are who you are :)