FINALLY. I'm ready to embrace summer, and I have one week and one day left to do it. Ah, irony. No, I really have enjoyed a pretty great summer. My "dark night" has been soothed by much-needed travel to places outside of my claustrophobic house - outside of Nashville - and I can't remember a time when travel was more fun and therapeutic than this summer.
In the past, travel has been fun, but I've always been ready to be home. That end-of-the-trip tiredness and readiness for my own bed and stuff - nope, I didn't have that on any trips this summer! They were fun, life-giving, full of joy, full of friendship and reminders of the immense amount of love I am blessed to have in my life. I really am more blessed than most people, I am sorry to tell you. :)
I'm just home from a chaotic and logistically-challenging 10-day trip to Orlando and Austin. Suffice it to say that I won't be using Super Shuttle again anytime soon, because, you know, you expect when you order a shuttle and they call you at 4:05 AM to tell you to be ready for your scheduled pickup 20 minutes EARLIER at 4:20 AM... and then they don't SHOW? Yeah, you're not going to be trusting them again. But all that craziness and stress aside, the trips were SO worth the trouble, and were everything I needed them to be, in such different ways. Of course, they were equally HOT as the weather this summer has rivaled any other's, with Nashville, Austin, and Orlando staying in the upper 90's during most of my times there. Deb's place in Orlando had a pool, and Brance and Carson had natural spring pools (read: FREEZING) and a motorcycle with SIDECAR to help me stay cool. Oh, how I fell for that sidecar.
Today, miracle of all miracles, I finally hung the remainder of the record albums that have been framed and sitting in my stairwell for most of the summer. They look good. And I broke down piles of boxes stacked in my garage and put them in the car trunk to take for recycling tomorrow. Such ACCOMPLISHMENT for this depressed girl. :) Now for the new goal: to lose the 12 pounds I gained this stressed-out/livin' it up summer helped me pack on. Very discouraged with myself, my disrespect for myself, but I know how to turn it around. I just need to do it. And then keep going.
Checking in with the blog world - hoping for more productivity, fellowship, and fun to write of in the coming days before school starts up again. I know that I will be longing for summer again in a week when I'm back in the thick of it, but I also recognize the blessing that work is for me - the focus and accountability for my time that I need and thrive on. I am thankful for this summer, perhaps above all others.
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment