Sunday, April 10, 2005

Kinda funny, kinda sad

The song at the end of Donnie Darko is still playing in my head. Just watched the Director's Cut tonight. It did have a different feel to it from the theater version, or maybe it's because it's my fourth time. Regardless, it's haunting me. They're all waking up from their dreams, remembering, half-remembering, and this Tears for Fears remake of "Mad World" is playing, and it's tremendously sad to me.

"And I think it's kinda funny
I think it's kinda sad
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had"

The verses are even more poignant - for some reason it moved me to tears tonight. Just a few, but still, tears. Music can do that, especially when a song seems to reflect how you feel, the tone or mood of your days. "Mad World" and "kinda funny, kinda sad" - those lyrics feel like an accurate reflection of this sunburned girl today.

Disney flicks from now on. Good plan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That cover is amazingly good! To be honest, I... uh, didn't so much "enjoy" DD when I saw it... but I remember thanking it profusely for introducing me to that version of the song.