Tuesday, May 10, 2005

I love them - no, I hate them!... no, love!

Since I've been a teacher, almost six years now, I've prided myself a bit on being one of the few people in the classroom who enjoys kids. Actually liking them, 8th graders, as people. Today I am confessing that I am struggling with that - the last few days I have felt the sort of disdain for 8th grade boys, in particular, that most people would assume I would carry all of the time. Yep, I am feeling stressed teaching teenagers right now. Not feeling a lot of love for some of 'em right now. Counting down to the end of school, as would be expected. There are three boys, specifically, that I am damn near to stringing up by their toenails, or at least giving them a tongue-lashing of sarcastic bite that would surely not feel good in hindsight. Hmmm... might it be worth it? I'm getting so close...

But- to focus on the good, there are some students who are reminding me that I love teaching. The last quarter of the year brings the familiarity and strength of earned relationship that is giving me joy, and is pretty much guaranteeing that this year will be no different from any of the others in that, I will, in spite of myself, probably cry on the last day. Am I crazy??? I know, it seems crazy to be so stressed and ready to be done, and then cry about it. But it is sad to have these relationships with kids now that I know will never be the same again. I'll just never have this kind of time with them again. Humbling as I remember the things I've said, hoping the good has taken root and the bad has been blown away like chaff.

I told my mom about going out with my friend's mom for dinner the other night. Her response? "Just the two of you?"
"Yes."
"That's weird."
I think my mom was jealous of other mom time. I felt like I cheated on her - I'm not spending anymore time with ANYbody's mom anytime soon. So don't ask. Your mom should NOT call me. Nor your dad either, for that matter.

Sidebar entertainment notes: Uchenna and Joyce won the Amazing Race - YAHOO! So deserving. Double yeah that Rob and Amber lost. HA. And one of my favorite actresses, Renee Zellweger, married Kenny Chesney - RANDOM. Did not see that coming - but hey- she IS a Katy, TX girl. They were at the PF Changs by us last week - so bummed I missed THAT. Can you imagine if I saw Bridget Jones in person? Cardiac arrest... who knows CPR? I'll keep my eyes peeled now that I know they like Cool Springs.

Late for a school night - hope you are well in your world.

No comments: