So I didn't bring the note from my "secret admirers" home to recreate it here, but the end of the poem asked me to meet them in my classroom at lunch time on Friday. I took my class to the cafe, and when I got back to my room, six of my students were standing there with: a chocolate cake with homemade chocolate frosting and strawberries on top, 2 bags of large sandwich deli rolls, 3 types of deli meats, 2 deli cheeses, a bag of Wavy chips, a jar of pickles, mustard and mayo, plates, cups, forks, and a 2 liter of coke. And a huge, homemeade card with a surprisingly not-cheesy poem included and a large gift certificate to Chili's. I was floored. I fumbled, "Why???" And these girls told me it was just because the last two weeks of school would be too crazy and they just wanted to let me know how much I meant to them... and seriously, if I go on anymore you will just think I'm tooting my own horn (which I've been told, just this week, that I need to do more of at work.) But suffice it to say - these girls SERIOUSLY made my week, my year, potentially, and the timing of it was PERFECT (see last post). I felt redemption in a very real sense since one of the 3 boys I referred to last post was suspended Thursday for being disrespectful to ME. Yeah - it had been one of those weeks.
So with that, I entered my weekend feeling pretty giddy, actually, because I felt loved and appreciated, and seriously, people: isn't that something we all long for? I am thankful for those kids and their selflessness in giving up their time, energy, and money to let a frazzled, sarcastic teacher know that she was doing ok. So very thankful.
Saturday, May 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
helloooooooo?
updates please?
Post a Comment