Hello, Thursday. St. Patrick's Day. Don't mean a thing even though I'm 1/4 Irish, which fully justifies my affinity for beer. No, I won't be doing anything for St. Patty's Day, but that's OK, because I'm one tired puppy. Today was "the Maycomb County Picnic" at school, and THE ENTIRE 8th GRADE was in full costume, dressed as a character from the novel we just finished reading, To Kill a Mockingbird. I can't remember the last time I was so proud of my students' commitment to excellence - they knocked it out of the park. My favorites included Caitland who dressed as Mayella Ewell, the alleged "rape victim" in the novel, who was really just a poor white girl who got beat by her papa, and Caitland wore full on blue and purple makeup all around her eye - it looked REAL- and spoke in full authentic rural Alabama accent all day. Priceless. I was Miss Maudie in her gardening gear - I had gardening gloves (green, in honor of aforementioned holiday), overalls, a huge flower pin, a garden spade hooked to my overalls, 3 packets of flower seeds splayed from my top pocket, and a large-brim straw hat. I looked good. If I do say so myself. It was so festive, and busy, and the kids just had FUN, and I wish we hadn't waited til March to do something this fun with them. They loved it - there was so much food that we fed every teacher, office staff, custodian, and random parent in the building, and there is still a couple of fridges full of food left for tomorrow (come on down, if you're in the area.) So... whew. Good times. And Spring Break looms just... tick, tock, tick, tock...22 hours from now. PRAISE. THE. LORD. :) I got nothin' but blue skies to look forward to next week.
Maybe I'll write again...
Drink one for me tonight!
Cheers.
Thursday, March 17, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment