Monday, March 28, 2005

Karma and long-distance hugs

That tire that I was so happy about getting fixed for free and the nine-dollar oil change? Yeah - that karma went south on Saturday when my tire was flat again. I now own an air compressor that I keep in my car, thanks to the wonderment of Darcie's that saved me on Saturday. We filled it up enough to go to get a new tire, and now - I just eat from the pantry til payday. (Pop-tarts? Cereal with no milk? Maple and brown sugar oatmeal? Mixed nuts? Peanut butter on... a knife? That's what I got.) Living without charging things is a relatively new experience. It's a strange feeling to, I don't know, live within a budget and not charge things like groceries and gas that you would end up paying INTEREST on. I wish someone had explained that to me back when I got my first credit card as a freshman at Clemson and loved the new concept of ordering clothes from catalogs. Dangerous, dangerous passion to develop.

Now I'm a grown-up, and I'm living within my means. Though I don't own a home, and I don't have any dependents, I do have a few grown-up responsibilities that remind me that I am, officially, on my own. (Sigh.)

Have you ever read such boring tripe? I apologize that my life lately is making for quite uninteresting reading. Just keeping it real, puttin' somethin' out there, reminding myself to think, process, be out there. My Spring Break showed me that I am very skilled at hiding. So I'll try to be better about, well, not hiding so much.

Cheers to Dixon as she takes her boards tomorrow (you go, girl!) And to Ryan Wilson of Parker, CO, the coolest 5-year-old girl I know, who though she is too young to read my blog, made my day by calling me to say she missed me and loved me. (Ty, tell her I wrote about her, ok?) Kids know how to make you feel LOVED. Everybody needs that once in a while, don't you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude(ette), being an adult totally blows! And don't let anyone tell you any different. I've lived out of my pantry, and out of my desk drawer of packaged food at work, so many times now it just seems like another way of life. Important tip: those peanut butter sandwiches are always better with honey, so buy a big squeezable teddybear full come pay-day and then lock him away for future squirting.